Log-in changes are coming to the online Electronic Federal Tax Payment System (EFTPS) for enhanced security. Effective Sept. 19, 2019, the IRS is implementing new password requirements for those making federal tax payments electronically:
- The IRS will require a 13-month password expiration policy – your password expires after 13 months from the time it was changed.
- The password must be 8 to 12 characters and follow the EFTPS guidelines:
- At least one uppercase letter (A, B, C, etc.)
- At least one lowercase letter (a, b, c, etc.)
- At least one number (1, 2, 3, etc.) or one of the following characters (!, @, #, $,*, +,-)
If you updated your password within the past 13 months, your existing password with 8-12 characters will still work.
If you have not updated your password in the past 13 months or you have a system-generated password, your payment will be rejected until you update your password on the EFTPS website.